Spoiler warnings for The Running Grave

As of Nov. 1 2023, I have removed the blue text spoiler warning from The Running Grave. Readers should be forewarned that any Strike post could contain spoilers for the full series.

Sunday, May 7, 2023

Strike Tour 2023 Pre-Planning: What goes on the wish list?

 To celebrate my early retirement from university teaching, my husband and I are planning our first-ever trip to the UK this summer. Naturally, there are numerous Cormoran Strike sights I am hoping to see. Unfortunately, my husband is not a reader of the novels.  I'm working on him, but he is unlikely to plow through all six books in the few weeks before our travel. 

So, it looks like we're not going to be renting a Landrover, filling a tartan flask with creosote-colored tea and making the rounds, Strike & Robin- style, to St. Mawes, Skegness, Masham and Barrow-in-Furness.  The plan now is a week or so in London, followed by the train to Edinburgh for a few more days in that area. 

Fortunately, there are at least some "Strike Tour" locations that fit nicely into other tourist interests as well.  There are three major sites that the husband has already agreed to put on our list

The White Horse of Uffington:  We are hoping to make this as a day trip from London, possibly combining with a visit to Stonehenge or Avebury.  I am hoping we can find a bus tour of interesting archeology sites that will include it. Otherwise, I guess we will transport ourselves there. Any suggestions, experienced travelers?  

Hampton Court Palace:  I'm looking forward to the Astronomy Clock, of course, but I also hope the "in-character" guides aren't limited to school groups, because I think it would be awesome to see costumed characters explaining the history. having read Samson's Matthew Shardlake series during the wait for the Ink Black Heart, I'm eager to see where good old Henry VIII lived and breathed and stopped others from doing so. 

Highgate Cemetery: When I mentioned this one, my husband immediately said yes. "Anyone not buried in Westminster Abbey is buried in Highgate." I am hoping to do the same tour that Robin did, as well as drop a pen on the grave of Douglas Adams. I am sure the walking tour of Highgate provided on Strikefans.com will also be useful.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever done the other walking tours around Piccadilly, Denmark Street and the Ritz?  I would like to do those as well, and it would be nice to know what sights along those routes might interest a non-Strike fan.  Suggestions anyone?

I am also making a list of eating locales that are mentioned in the book, again, thank you, Strikefans.com. There are over 60 in London alone, without even considering the Victory Inn in St. Mawes or Tony's chippy in Skegness. For my next post, I'll share my preliminary list and ask for suggestions on that front. 

4 comments:

  1. Have a bloody lovely time. You could pop in on Balham, South London, site of my debut at the MFI studio. I was there less than a week before being snapped up by a minor royal for their shag pad in Pimlico. The stories I could tell ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LudicrousMonikerMay 9, 2023 at 5:47 AM

    With regard to the London walking tours, the one through St James's is a nice meander through a historic part of London - you could add in a look at St James's Palace or once you get to the Ritz, walk down through Green Park to Buckingham Palace and St James's Park if they're on your list. The second walk through Mayfair is probably one only for dedicated Strike visitors, so I'd skip that one. The Soho one has wider appeal, and you could add in The House of Minalima on Greek Street for a bit of Harry Potter. If you're over by the Houses of Parliament, the Strike locations of the St Stephen's Tavern, DCMS and New Scotland Yard are all right there are well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good to know, LM. Thank your for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Hampton Court Palace! I was there 10 years ago, but as I remember it, they have the "characters" available for everybody to interact with, you just need to catch them amid a busy schedule. I remember Katherine Parr being an especially fun character to follow around and chat with as she pondered Henry's next wife. THe Palace itself is also beautiful, I think devoting a full day to exploring it is well worth it.

    As for other destinations, particularly ones that might be acceptable to a non-Strike fan - definitely check out Camden Market! You may recall this is where Robin goes undercover in Lethal White. It is an ENORMOUS sprawling outdoor market where you can find stalls selling anything and everything, and can get lost in the maze of shops. Easily, a day can be spent - and it's where you'll want to stock up on souvenirs!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated.