Spoiler warnings for The Running Grave

As of Nov. 1 2023, I have removed the blue text spoiler warning from The Running Grave. Readers should be forewarned that any Strike post could contain spoilers for the full series.

Monday, May 8, 2023

Cormoran and Robin's Guide to London Eateries: Where Should I Go?

 

I started making a list of all the London eating establishments mentioned in the Strike books, and it got long really quick.  Obviously I will be limited in how many I can patronize in my week or so in London, but I've made a list of my top choices. I would welcome comments or suggestions from other Strike fans who live in or have visited London. 

The Tottenham/Flying Horse:  Obviously this is tops on my list, much as it is tops on Strike's. I don't drink beer, and I am traveling with my teetotaler husband, but I have to stop by for a glass of red wine in honor of Robin. Has anyone sampled the food downstairs?  I definitely want some good pub food. 

The Cambridge: I like the idea of celebrating in the same place that Robin treated Strike for his birthday. If I recall correctly, Strike overate there a bit, but I'm not likely to be munching on a basket a Cornish food before dinner.  

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese: Nina Lacelles tried to assure Strike it was more than a tourist trap, but even if she was wrong, I'm a tourist, aren't I?  If it's good enough for Dickens, it's good enough for us. 


Bob Bob Ricard:
We usually don't dine at exceptionally fancy places when we travel, but if we are going to splurge this is where I want to do it. Who wouldn't want to press a button for champagne? 

The Three Kings:  I'm not 100% sure we'll be making the Clerkenwell walk, but if we go I want to see the pub where Oonaugh waited for Margot and where Strike and Robin enjoyed a Halloween drink 40 years later. 

The Flask: This also appears to be a very old and tourist-appealing pub.  I promise my Tennessee accent will not be nearly annoying as the one Robin overheard. 

So, these are my thoughts, but I am open to suggestions, particularly for the non-pub places. Has anyone tried one of the China Town choices?  Or a place for a good full English breakfast?  What are the Strike-featured dining establishments that shouldn't be missed?

3 comments:

  1. LudicrousMonikerMay 9, 2023 at 5:18 AM

    These are all great choices! Of course you must go to the Flying Horse - but just to let you know they no longer do food. The Cambridge does good pub grub. And Bob Bob Ricard is definitely a good choice for splurging - it is pricy but the champagne button is great and the food is really good. The Flask is also worth a visit, lots of historic quirky features. We didn't eat there, but the menu looks great. So overall, I think you've narrowed it down really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LudicrousMonikerMay 9, 2023 at 5:58 AM

    Also, the 'Margot's Route' walk is only very short, but it's great fun to do whilst reading Ch 13 of TB as so much detail is given in the book; even more so now that we've seen the adaptation which was all filmed in the exact locations. Now that the Elizabeth Line is up and running, it's one quick stop from Tottenham Court Road to Farringdon - it should be possible to do it and be back in Soho in not much more than an hour, so I do hope you have time to fit it in.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated.