Spoiler warnings for The Running Grave

As of Nov. 1 2023, I have removed the blue text spoiler warning from The Running Grave. Readers should be forewarned that any Strike post could contain spoilers for the full series.

Monday, April 24, 2023

Why I Opened the Farting Sofa Faculty Lounge

In Spring 2023, I left a 23-year academic career for a full-time job in behavioral health services. I began my career as a behavioral neuroscientist, but, as frequently happens in small liberal arts colleges,  my interests expanded. What started out as the joy of reading the Harry Potter series to my kids grew into a scholarly examination of the series, and eventually other popular young adult series such as The Hunger Games and Divergent.  When Robert Galbraith's detective series, Cormoran Strike was unmasked as J.K. Rowling's work, I began writing extensively about that, too. 


For years, I have presented my work at conferences, conventions and festivals, in addition to appearing on podcasts and blogging on sites such as Dr. Bickmore's YA Wednesday, Mugglenet and, most regularly, Hogwartsprofessor.com. However, as my career as a professor drew to a close, I felt a stronger need to have my own online space, not just for my own thoughts but to invite fellow academics and serious readers to post theirs. I started this blog so I could share my idea, both serious and whimsical, with people who share my interests, and, in turn, hear and learn from them.

While I have many academic friends that I intend to invite for guest posts, I hope others will also contribute. To the Farting Sofa, all derrières are equal. There will be no distinction between "scholarly" and "amateur" readers on this site.  Please read, comment thoughtfully, and, if you have an idea for a guest post, send me an email at the link to the right. 


3 comments:

  1. Oh, this is wonderful! I so look forward to lots of great discussion on Strike and other books here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes with your new blog !!
    Hoping to read your insightful comments on the Strike series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited!! I also love your depiction of the farting couch.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated.