Spoiler warnings for The Running Grave

As of Nov. 1 2023, I have removed the blue text spoiler warning from The Running Grave. Readers should be forewarned that any Strike post could contain spoilers for the full series.

Sunday, September 3, 2023

London Travelogue Part 4: Bob Bob Ricard


Our UK trip this summer was a belated 30th anniversary celebration. given the actual anniversary was in 2020, so, on our last night in London, we decided to splurge on a fancy dinner in honor of what was now our 33rd anniversary. Of course, there was one restaurant that topped my list: the site of Robin and Ilsa's heart-to-heart, Bob Bob Ricard. 

We had a delicious, albeit expensive meal. Robin must be making a better salary now if she can not only by a London flat but also dine here. 

Ilsa had chosen tonight’s venue, Bob Bob Ricard, because she’d never been there and always wanted to go: a British-Russian restaurant. 

"They were shown downstairs into a basement room that combined high Victorian opulence with the atmosphere of a nightclub: dramatically lit, with red and gold decor, a floor decorated like a backgammon board." 

We, however, ate upstairs. 

"It had buttons in each booth to press for champagne, of which it was supposed to pour more than any restaurant in England... ‘Well, then, press the button – that’s what we’re here for, isn’t it?’"

Robin had finished her own champagne. Before she could do it, Ilsa had reached across and pressed the button for her...The waiter arrived to refill Robin’s glass. She drank nearly half of it before saying, "I don’t know – because I’m thirty and I’ve literally been with one man, ever?" She groaned again, as the memory of her phone call with Ryan Murphy swept back over her. "Because I’m such a moron I don’t even realise I’m being asked out?"


The Ink Black Heart never says if Robin and Ilsa had dessert, but we did. My husband got their signature Chocolate Glory and I had a flaming creme brulee.

This was certainly our most elegant and indulgant Strike site! I will pick up tomorrow with the Bob Bob Ricard visit in The Ink Black Heart Re-read-along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.