Spoiler warnings for The Running Grave

As of Nov. 1 2023, I have removed the blue text spoiler warning from The Running Grave. Readers should be forewarned that any Strike post could contain spoilers for the full series.

Saturday, August 26, 2023

Fourth (and Final!) Look at The Running Grave Preview: Spoilers for August 9th release (Ch. 5 & 6).

As before, this is an analysis of the now-withdrawn Preview of The Running Grave, Spoilers are in BLUE TEXT. 


 The last two chapters are of the tie-up type, as Robin and Strike discuss their new case in Chapter 5 and Robin reflects on her feelings for Strike on the way to the Tube in Chapter 6. 

I'm glad Robin is eager for the undercover mission and that Strike agrees she's the best for the job, but this whole plotline has me really worried.Part of me wishes they'd call Hutchins out of retirement and send him along. He's 20 years older and could probably pass for her father, or, if not that, her wealthy sugar daddy. And I have an idea any effort Strike makes to cool off her relationship with Ryan Murphy could backfire big time. 

At the end of Chapter 5, Strike is heading off to scan the material provided, Will's old blogs should have the connection to Aylmerton Community there. The question is, will Strike also read them and, if so, will his super-memory extend to remembering the name of the place he was taken when he was eight?

Robin appears to be in the same boat now that Strike was in IBH, convinced that Strike has zero attraction to her, and seeking "relief and comfort" in a different relationship, one in which the primary pleasure comes from sex. There is no indication that she feels love for Murphy and, with their relationship decribed as "guarded" on both sides, it sounds like no "I love you's" have been exchanged. 

I didn't spot any new names or alchemical elements in these two chapters, so....

Timeline

I was a bit surprised to learn that Robin had waited a full six months to tell Ryan Murphy about her rape history. I would have thought that conversation would have needed to happen before their first sexual intimacy, and six months seems a long time to wait for that. Interestingly, 6 months means the conversation would have happened in the Christmas/New Years season. I wonder if we will find out how they spent Christmas, and if she took him back to Masham to meet the family. Personally, I hope he took her to Spain!

Harry Potter Echoes

Robin' s preparation for the conversation with Strike about going undercover is detailed and extensive, evoking him to say. "You have thought this out." This recalls Hermione's intense and detailed planning for the camping trip, to the point of her having them ready to go when the death eaters attacked. And, once Linda finds out her daughter is going somewhere unknown, indefinately, and out of contact, I can see her channeling a bit of her inner Molly Weasley. 

Ring Composition

Robin talks about needing expensive clothes to play the role she must play for a potential wealthy UHC recruit. We know she has one very expensive dress that would fit the bill and I'm sure Pat could stitch up the rip the Flobberworm made in a jiffy. Perhaps it's too sexy to wear to the Rupert Street temple, but if she got to wear it again it would echo books 1 and 4. In any case, I'm glad we will meet Prudence, and her wardrobe, soon. 

There is an intersesting echo between chapters 3 and 6, with each partner trying and failing to stop thinking about the other. 

8 comments:

  1. 'Flobberworm' had the green dress repaired in
    episode 3 of 'Lethal White'. He presented it when Robin returned from 'Flicks' party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Flobberworm is not so flobbery in the TV series. He did not do that in the book. We don't know what became of The Dress after that fateful night.

      Delete
    2. Mmm! you are right. I'm re-reading LW at the moment, I will look out for the 'repair'. I must admit, I only saw it on TV. Watch this space.

      Delete
  2. Just popped in to the comments to say, thank you so much Louise, for posting these reread round-ups! I know they are going to be a valuable resource for many rereads to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been one to wait for a book to be in proper covers before I'll read it, so I'm really enjoying these preview articles. It reminds me pleasantly of the Ickabog release where everyone was at the same plot point. I wonder if Rowling will publish another serialisation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick, I just wanted to say that I continue to be disappointed that more people aren’t reading The Ickabog. After the Harry Potter series, it’s my favorite of Rowling’s work, and parallels several developments that were timely when it appeared (not only speaking of a certain U.S. president but also of the Tweets Heard Round the World. Why aren’t more people interested that during this same period, Rowling released a work featuring a gender-fluid creature? I’m baffled.

      Delete
    2. Lana, I share your mystification. The political and social themes are at least as relevant today on both sides of the Atlantic. Beyond the story, the editing, production, translation and advertising of the story for free distribution during Covid lockdown, the engagement online with children's art and the wonderful origin story (the lost manuscript dress!), should have provided fuel for enduring engagement.

      Delete

Comments are moderated.