Spoiler warnings for The Running Grave

As of Nov. 1 2023, I have removed the blue text spoiler warning from The Running Grave. Readers should be forewarned that any Strike post could contain spoilers for the full series.

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

A World of Riches: Finishing up the Troubled Blood read-along: Chapters 55-73, (Part 5 of 5)

 

As is typical of a Strike book, the pace picks up in the last quarter of the book, we are going to hit many wonderful moments as we finish up Troubled Blood. I am going to highlight what jumped out at me on the last re-read. 

Brother Al: His appearance was a nice turtle-back link to Book 2, his only other appearance in the series. but, like Polworth, he is a lot less appealing this time around. Case in point:

“and keep your fucking voice down, those are my employees you’re airing my private business in front of.”

That’s your priority?”

Yes, it is, Mr. Never-Had-a-Job-in-Your-Life.

The news of the cancer is not come as too much a of surprise to me my first reading, given that Al had said there was more to the party than the anniversary and the new album. It is interesting that he is the second man in the book to have this, the first being Roy Phipps. Strike is right that, assuming it was caught early--- and it is caught early in the vast majority of cases--both Rokeby and Roy should be fine. While many are predicting Rokeby's death before the end of the series, perhaps even in the next book, I would be willing to bet it will not be of prostate cancer. 

Betty Fuller: I think this is the first time we have ever seen Robin overwhelmed or intimidated in a witness interview. It is clear she is thinking about the same thing Strike thought about on his birthday pub visit; what would her life be like when she's 80?  And, of course, we see the contrast between Betty's housing condition and Mucci Ricci's, whose expensive private nursing home turns up in the next chapter, makes it clear that the economic realities of "sex work is work" ---and particularly the gender disparities---are more complex and any middle-class social worker, or the Kyle and Courtney's of the world, can imagine. 

Wonderful laugh-out-loud moments. 

1. "What would it take to make you walk out on a blind date?” asked Morris.

"You turning up," thought Robin.

2.  "I want you to give me something to eat and a strong drink.”

“You’ve got it,” said Strike, glad to have a chance to make reparations. “Will a takeaway do?”

“No,” said Robin sarcastically, pointing at her rapidly blackening eyes, “I’d like to go to the Ritz, please.”

Of course, the Ritz comment leads to a very nice birthday treat for Robin later!

Chapter 58 has legendary status, and of course, I love the whisky-fueled confessions, but I am probably in the minority in being glad that Barclay interrupted and liking Chapter 59 better. First, I want Strike and Robin's first kiss to be when both are sober. Second, I love Barclay's sincere congratulations to Robin on cracking the Elinor Dean business and the team's determination to resolve that case in a way that does not damage SB, rather than take the easy way out and simbly pass the information onto their clients. So much for Strike's "We're like lawyers, Robin. We're on the client's side," line from Lethal White. 

 Then, we have Robin finally standing up to DeMorris Umbridge and givn him a well-deserved bloody nose. The funniest part of this scene to me is Barclay's "“Ye need tae learn tae read the fuckin’ room, mate.” And I think Strike's reaction is perfect. No "Let's calm down and discuss it" nonsense; Robin wants Morris out, and he is out. All Strike has to do is take one step towards Morris (as he did in Book 2 to the client that was insulting Leonora Quine) and Morris practically falls over the couch trying to get out. Finally, he does not try to console or reassure Robin after the "hard-on" comment; that would only have embarrassed her. Instead, he cracks the joke about "First one to break Barclay's nose wins the night," which was just what was needed. 

Notice also that they don't hesitate to tell Sam what happened to Robin's face, whereas Robin gives Pat an excuse, and Morris didn't bother asking. This shows Barclay has a unique position of trust on the team. 

Mucky Ricci: The chapter where Robin infiltrates the nursing home and the resultant fight between her and Strike are always hard for me to read, the first becuase Luca is so damn scary and the second because I hate to see all the good of Whisky-night undone. Their make-up is reassuring, but followed, as it is, by Anna and Kim terminating the case, it's all very sad. 

The Lucky Streak: By Chapter 63, our heroes' luck has turned.  In a space of only a few of days, Robin's cracks the Shifty case, Strike locates Douthwaite (as a direct consequence of his improved courtesy to Pat), they roadtrip to Skegness to interview Steve and then, while they are chatting over fish-n-chips, they get not only a lead on a new sub-contractor (who will turn out to be awesome) but word that Gloria Conti, contrary to her husband's declarations, is ready and eager to speak with them. They interview her the next night, then immediately figure out what was going on with Ruby and the red phone boxes, and Strike finally puts the pieces of chocolate together with the multiple stomach upsets and deduces not just the killer, but the location of Margot's body.  That's a busy three days! 

Funny how, when their relationship is on track, the case starts to go well, too, istn't it?

Creed: This is probably my favorite solo Strike scene of the series, which, as I've written before, is as good a showdown as Harry's final duel with Voldemort. In the end, Creed's own trick of pretending to walk away and hope your prey calls you back is used against him and he is hoist on his own petard. And I love that Brian Tucker's decades of work paid off, and that Louise turned out to be in one of the places he guessed. I think if he was a bit younger Strike might have hired him as a subcontractor. 

The Resolution. I like the division of labor, where Robin and Barclay are sent to "dig" for the body at the Athorn's apartment, while Strike goes to confront Janice, and give us the lengthy explanation of her lifetime of killing, which appears to have been inspired by the real-life Nannie Doss case. What loose ends are not tied up in the Janice conversation are filled in with the meeting with the Phipps family, and newly reconciled Oonaugh Kennedy. 

Happy Birthday, Robin! The book winds up with a heart-warming 30th birthday for Robin, where Strike makes a effort to get her personalized gifts, as well as a lovely night on the town. We will pick up with the Ritz in the next book.  In the meantime, I will close with Robin's donkey balloon, which I lucked into in my local grocery a week or so ago.  


6 comments:

  1. Brilliant summary thanks, I love TB. JKR always manages to pack in all the emotions to every book ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long-time lurker here. I keep waiting for someone to analyze Pat’s comment about how Strike “has a real look of her first husband” followed in the next chapter by Pat singing along to rock hits of the 70s (which helps Strike with a breakthrough, as you noted). Surely this is not a coincidence. What is Pat’s connection to Strike’s family??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question: We know from IBH that this spouse was unfaithful and his mistress sent Pat his undies. I doubt it is more than coincidental resemblance; if Pat was kin to Rokeby I think we'd know it.
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. TB is my favourite of all the books so far, and I think I may be unique in not only looking forward to Running Grave but also kind of dreading it. I don’t like change and I always get a degree of anxiety when reading a new book with beloved characters, out of fear of what may happen to them!
    I do hope that Running Grave has a returns some focus on the seasons/weather and detailed descriptions of the locations, cities and settings. I thought IBH neglected these, compared with others in the series. In winter I always re-read Silkworm, especially when I’m on night shift. I find it comforting to know Strike got through his exhaustion and freezing pipes, so I can too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your donkey balloon far better than the one in the series, which looked like a horse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was a horse. There was no donkey banter in the TV show, as I recall, only Robin quipping about how she wanted a pony.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated.