Spoiler warnings for The Running Grave

As of Nov. 1 2023, I have removed the blue text spoiler warning from The Running Grave. Readers should be forewarned that any Strike post could contain spoilers for the full series.

Thursday, May 18, 2023

Pre-TRG Read-along: The Cuckoo's Calling: Part Two of Four

Today's reading includes both Robin's modeling at Vashti and Strike's McDonalds talk with Rochelle Onifade. This means readers of the first edition (and listeners, like me, of the audiobook) had a very different experience than those who read later editions.  JKR/RG made the most extensive corrections she has made in any book to date when the character of Aussie saleswoman Mia Thompson was added

For those of you who have seen the text both pre- and post-Mia, what do you think of the edition?  Was the "error" that she corrected worth the extensive revision, especially since she didn't wind up creating a valid will anyway?

Rochelle is also the first to quote Deeby Macc's "F*ck Johari" rap lyric, which Strike attends to enough to eventually ask about.  As Robin will explain, Johari's window is a psychological framework that encourages people to consider what they know about themselves, versus what others know about them. As relationships strengthen, the upper right quadrant expands through the processes of self-disclosure, self-discovery and feedback from others.

By the end of Part three, Strike is annoyed with Lucy, and, by extension, Robin, fearing (quite correctly) that Lucy has disclosed aspects of his life to Robin that he would have preferred to remain hidden.  "He had never wanted Robin to know about his mother, or about his leg, or about Charlotte, or any of the other painful subjects which Lucy insisted on probing whenever she came close enough."

Of course, by Part Four, Strike will have disclosed far more, with a little help from the 11 pints of Doom Bar.

But it is worth asking now:
  • What parts of Strike and Robin's life are they clearly open about?
    • What does it mean for Strike that so many details about his life can't be hidden:  he can't hide his debt or his homelessness from Robin, and the story of Leda and Rokeby is open to anyone who can google it? 
    • What does it say about Robin that she is willing to behave as if some of these involuntary open aspects are hidden, by, for instance, not mentioning the camp bed or asking about Rokeby?
  • What are they currently successfully keeping hidden from each other?
  • What are their blind spots?
In a way, their entire relationship can be described as a gradual and mutual expansion of the Open window. 

I'll close with w few more random thoughts that occurred to me on the re-read: 

  • Why does JKR/RG stick in interludes like this, which happened near the end of Strike's first meeting with Derrick?  

Is there any chance,” asked Strike, as they were momentarily impeded by a tiny hooded, bearded man like an Old Testament prophet, who stopped in front of them and slowly stuck out his tongue, “that I could come and have a look inside sometime?

  • Is it just to keep a flavor of "weird things happen on the streets of London?" Or to keep us guessing about suspects/red herrings?
  • Every time the ashtray is mentioned, the fact that he swiped it from a bar in Germany also comes up.  Will we ever see it again now that he's stopped smoking? 
  • It's worth a quick look at Elbow, the CD that Strike listens to that isn't Tom Waits. It seems to be a very different type of music. 
  • Strike "asked himself when he was going to kick the habit and set to work to restore the fitness that had slipped away along with his solvency and his domestic comfort." Five years, dude, five years. 

Comments welcome.  I'll be back on Monday for a look at Part Four of CC

10 comments:

  1. Can you tell me which chapter the same person edit is in? I’ve got the book, the e-book, and audio book and I vaguely remember it from one of them but can’t find the page. I want to see if I have the original version to compare it to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part 2: Chapters 4 (Vashti) and 8 (Rochelle at McDonalds). I think you will find the new editions in the ebook. It was updated, but I don't think the audiobook was. At least my version isn't

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I don’t see the edits in my ebook yet and it is not in my audio or hard copy either. I’ll keep looking! A quest!

      Delete
    3. OK. In the meantime, if you want to see the added text, click on the link at the end of the first paragraph. I think I quoted it all in my original post on Mia on Hogwartsprofessor.com

      Delete
  2. As a fan I am probably biased, but I am convinced that Strike is listening to The Seldom Seen Kid CD (Elbow). It is the album that won them the Mercury Music Prize (very prestigious) in 2008. One of my favourite love songs on that album 'Mirrorball'. Elbow's music fits Robin and Strike very well ('relationshipwise'). The singer (Guy Garvey) looks a bit like I would imagine Strike if there was no Tom Burke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tiny hooded man has to be a wizard having some fun with muggles, right? They have just left the Phoenix cafe and JKR is reborn as Robert Galbraith.

    In other places I think the interludes are there to make the world of Strike&Ellacott books seem more deep, real, with taste and smells and sounds and other people milling about. And as a place to put in random winks for future happenings to make us face palm like we should have seen it coming.

    But that particular one definitely a wizard. Reminds me of the one hugging uncle Vernon in the beginning of HP1

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found this reread to be really refreshing, partially because of the fact that at this point, Strike and Robin don't know very much about each other. I love Robin as a character, but I have found that I am enjoying this mostly "Strike" novel - mostly from his point of view, and with him mostly solving the mystery. I know Robin plays a role, but Strike is the one with the most experience here. To me, as a reader, the Strike of this book seems almost like a different person than the one in The Ink Black Heart (as does Robin, of course). So I guess that's the Johari window at work! I remember when I first read CC, I thought Strike was much older than he is, even though we are told his age, we're also told how much older he looks than his years, and the amount of life experience he seems to have crammed into those years is a lot. And I thought of Robin as much younger - of course, there's a LOT we don't know about Robin at this point, and she just seems sort of whimsical and a little naive to me. On a side note, this is one of my favorite parts of CC, because it's when Lucy completely loses it over Strike and Charlotte, and to me, it's a window into Lucy's character as well. I still maintain that if she personally did not kill her mother, that she knows something about it... her desire to talk about it so often with strangers seems suspicious to me. She wants to let it go, but somehow she can't. Almost like John Bristow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Leda's death turns out to be a result of inaction rather than action (someone knows she's overdosed herself, but fails to get help, see https://www.hogwartsprofessor.com/leda-strikes-death-murder-by-action-or-inaction/) then Lucy is at the top of the list, along with Ted. It would be an interesting contrast to Strike's intense efforts to get help for Charlotte in a similar situation, even though he could have simply hung up the phone.

      Delete
  5. Having a relisten, it stuck out to me that Lucy tells Cormoran that Robins fiancĂ© sounds a bit like Greg. I know a few people have theories that Greg will be a cheating spouse in the future which I’ve found easy to imagine, and this seems like it could be a little foreshadowing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated.